Welcome to our blog, and thanks for coming! Feel free to kick back, relax, and have a spot of tea with us. And if you enjoy what you read, let us know by following us or making comments on our posts.

Monday, September 6, 2010

Inventory Woes

In the last week I’ve had conversations about inventory management with more than one friend.  It seems that everyone’s complaining about organization, and often LL gets blamed for losing something when it’s really just a lack of recollection on the user’s part as to where he/she put it (or what it was called).  Early in my SL days, I struggled with the same issue.  I dumped all my outfits into the clothing folder and could never find those all-important items when I really needed them.  So…I devised a filing system.  It’s not a radical concept, just a simple way to keep track of my outfits, so I never miss a party. 

When I get dressed, I usually have a clothing type in mind – a mini skirt, a pair of shorts, a tank top, whatever.  Consequently, I organized my clothing folder to expedite finding those items quickly.  I started with basic clothing types, then made subfolders for all the sub-types in those categories (click on the pic below to zoom in).  For some of those sub-items, I still had too much to sift through, so I made more categories for sorting them.  For instance, under Shirts/Jackets/Sweaters/Vests in the Tanks folder, I had an inordinate number of tank tops, so I separated those further to include the jacket length, shirt length, and cropped tanks (long, mid, short).  Now if I want to wear a tank with a belly ring, I head to the short tanks folder and quickly find something that works for me (or, well, you know….I go shopping!).

The system doesn’t seem that complicated to me, but I hear so much moaning about messy inventories, I thought I’d share my simple organization process…just in case it helps.  If you have as many items as I do, you have to know where they are in order to use them when you need them.  And if your inventory is really a mess, consider how much more you’ll enjoy SL if you spent just ten minutes a day sorting through it and getting it back under control.  You’d be amazed at how much time it saves you in the end…and you won’t miss another party just because you can’t find what you want to wear!

No comments:

Post a Comment